Our Cheam First Nation community has completed projects in the past relating to preservation of language, history and culture, mainly with youth and Elders. Our community members have the potential to carry out more activities within the cultural aspect of our community planning. The extension of parent/grandparent involvement gives our youth the wisdom and knowledge of our cultural practices through sharing songs, stories, dances, hosting open houses and community celebrations. The following list of activities is the focus of our 2012/13 cultural community plans.
- Winter dance (all ages)
- Traditional crafts (pre-teen to elders)
- Communal celebrations (all members)
- Intergenerational knowledge transfer from elders to all members
- Continual historical research
- Medicinal plant harvesting and uses
- Drumming and singing